Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Egg-in-a-Hole Grilled Cheese with Bacon
























I first experience egg-in-a-hole when by best friend made it for me for breakfast one day while I was visiting her in Vegas.  I don't know how it is that I had never had it before, but I fell in love with it on the spot.  For some reason though, I never really made it myself until recently.  Then, when I was snowed in this weekend, I came up with this Egg-in-a-Hole Grilled Cheese with Bacon and my-oh-my was it good!

I had just made the egg bread I posted last week and I knew it would be perfect for this sammy so I went for it.  It was lovely.  The bread grilled up with a delightfully delicate crunch while still maintaining it's spongy crumb.  The cheese adds it's ooey-gooey-melty goodness and the pepper bacon added a nice chew to the texture while also adding a lovely smokiness and a slightly peppery bite.



I made these for my husband and I for lunch, so I started out with 4 slices of bread, cutting a hole in 2 of the slices...
































I placed one regular slice and one slice with the hole cut out of it in my preheated, buttered, cast iron skillet...



Then I cracked an egg right into the hole and seasoned it with salt and pepper.





























Once both slices are nicely browned, turn them over and place a couple slices of cheese on the non-holey (non holey????) slice.







...and cover with the cheesy slice.  Let it grill just a little bit longer to ensure the cheese gets fully melted.  At this point, you can grill the holes you cut out of the bread.  



Remove from the pan and serve hot!  Repeat with the second sandwich (or you could use a two-burner griddle and make both sammies simultaneously).

Voila!  A lovely Egg-in-a-Hole Grilled Cheese with Bacon Sandwich.  YUM!



Enjoy - Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment