Wednesday, June 22, 2011

On a Roll With Honey!

I'm really on a roll baking cooking with honey now!  In the past two days I have made homeade granola, honey-roasted nuts and caramel corn (although not technically carmel, more like poppycock).  YUM!  I found a couple recipes on the internet for honey-roasting nuts and also for granola and those are what I used this time around - making only very minor changes. 

The honey-roasting turned out to be super simple:  Roast the nuts in the oven for about 15 minutes.  On the stovetop, prepare a mixture of oil (I used  buter), honey and water  bring it to a boil and stir it until well blended.  Add the nuts to the pan on the stove and continue to cook until the liquid has evaporated.  Transfer it all to a bowl and toss with sugar & salt.  Spread it out on a wax paper or parchment covered cookie sheet to cool.  So TASTY!

For the granola, I specifically searched recipes for "chunky" granola.  I love granola that is like nuggets that you can snack on as well as eat as cereal, but every recipe I've experimented always came out very loose.  Sadly, the recipe I used did not come out very chunky either, although it was slightly less loose than prior experiments.  It was, however, delicious anyway and I look forward to experimenting with granola some more.

Finally, the candied popcorn.  So simple, so quick and so tasty!  Pop up 3 quarts of popcorn - set aside.  On the stove top, melt 1 stick of butter and add 1/2 cup honey.  Heat and stir until they are well combined.  Pour the butter & honey mixture over the popcorn - I did about 1/2 the popcorn, stirred well, then added the rest of the popcorn, poured more butter and honey mixture and stirred, then added 1 cup almonds and poured the remaining honey/butter mixture.  Stir well, then spread in a thin layer on a cookie sheet.  Put in a 350 degree oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. 

If you have a granola or honey-roasted nuts recipe you'd like to share,  I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment