Saturday, September 3, 2011

Fish Tacos - Perfect Summer Fare!

I picked up some lovely, fresh cod at the grocery store the other day and decided we'd have fish tacos.  The kids aren't big on fish though and since they headed to Grandma's house for a visit yesterday, I decided to fix the fish tacos last night. 

I really like dill, cumin, coriander and fresh lime juice on white fish so that's what I used last night, plus salt & pepper and a bit of olive oil.  I prepped the fish, then baked it in the oven - no breading, no frying.  I baked it at 375 degrees (f) for about 15-20 minutes.  It came out moist and delicious! 

For toppings, I'm not big on the traditional cabbage, so I just shredded up some romaine lettuce instead. I also cut up some fresh zucchini into matchstick-sized pieces and cut a lime into wedges and made some fresh tartar sauce. 

Tartar Sauce:
1/4 c light sour cream or greek yogurt
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1/2 - 1 lime
1 tbls capers, chopped
1 tbls. dill (fresh is best, if you can get it)
1/2 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. cumin
salt & pepper to taste

Stir it all together and Chill while the fish is baking.

I found some lovely corn tortillas at the store that were really soft & "hand-made style" - they were a bit thicker and a lot moister than the usual corn tortillas - and healthier too.  The zucchini added a nice crunch and their mild flavor allowed the fish to remain the star. We also had a lovely spinach salad with honey-mustard dressing to balance out the meal.  My husband enjoyed this delicious, light and healthy meal so much, he had a 2nd helping!

No comments:

Post a Comment