Friday, November 4, 2011

Pumpkin Puree

I've been finding, visiting and reading lots of new blogs in the past  week or so.

Recently, FoodComaBlog.com posted a lovely recipe for Butternut Squash Soup and as I was reading the comments, took particular note of a reader tip on how to best prepare the squash for pureeing, it sounded so slick I decided to try it myself with pumpkins and it worked out so well I wanted to share it with you.


To start off, I sliced the tops of the pumkins off, just like you would for Halloween carving.  Then I scooped out the seeds and pulp.  Our chickens happily eat the pulp, skin and any other pumpkin bits we give them, so the pulp went into the chicken bowl...


The seeds went right into a sieve all set to be rinsed and toasted. 


Then I split the pumpkins in half...


 ...put them in a roasting pan with just a bit of water in it and baked them at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until they were fork tender.  They were soft enough to scoop out with a soup spoon.  From there I just put them in my blender and pureed them, then measured 1 cup increments into zip-close bags and froze them for later use! 


1 comment:

  1. Such an easy way to make pumpkin puree. No peeling required! Thanks Chris! ...Susan

    ReplyDelete