Saturday, April 7, 2012

FOP#1: Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf

April 4th our "niece-daughter" Arynn turned 16. We totally surprised her with a trip to the mall with 4 of her close friends, followed by an overnight at our house. Arynn doesn't like pancakes *gasp*, shocking right? She's also not a fan of cake in general so we made home-made ice cream sandwiches instead of birthday cake, but I was a bit stumped on breakfast. My original plan was to do a cereal bar with a few kinds of cereal, set out cut up fruit, milk, maybe some yogurt plus juice, etc., but it turned out one of the guests has to limit her gluten intake. Said guest suggested bacon & scrambled eggs for breakfast with pancakes - but there's that whole Arynn not liking pancakes thing. So I also considered waffles, but my waffle maker only makes 2 at a time - and is in dire need of replacing. So I decide I'd make a coffee cake or something along those lines that could bake in the oven while I worked on everything else.

So to introduce a new post theme I'm going to be working on (on an as-yet-undetermined schedule) Found On Pinterest aka: FOP, I'm kicking of entry #1 with this tantalizing recipe for Lemon-Blueberry-Yogurt Loaf. This recipe has been very popular on Pinterest. When I pinned it I had just been experimenting with blueberry coffee cake and thought I wanted to add lemon to my recipe - the photo was just so pretty and the idea of lemon and blueberry together sounded amazing. Sooooo, I decided to make it for the birthday breakfast. Mine didn't come out as pretty as the photo and as I read through the comments on the Sweet Peas Kitchen blog today I noticed that she said she always thaws the berries thoroughly, then pats them dry with paper towels. I, however, broke the cardinal rule of cooking/baking and failed to read through the recipe so the berries weren't thawed. I measured them out, then left them sitting in a sieve while I mixed up the batter, then decided not to worry about thawing or rinsing them - so long story short, the "bled" all over the batter. Regardless, the bread was delicious and was a hit with all the kids (even the picky 8 year old cousin who happened to be staying with us this past week too)! It was gobbled up so quickly I didn't have a chance to take any photos. I'm really looking forward to making this again (following the instructions properly this time) and when I do, I'll be sure to take some photos and post them here.

Ready to try to recipe yourself? Hop on over to Sweet Peas Kitchen for the recipe and that photo that caught the attention of so many pinners!



No comments:

Post a Comment