Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Sausage-n-Cheddar Potato Soup

I work at a resort in the mountains...  This means winter driving conditions and winter working conditions are part and parcel of my position.  Our guests are the outdoorsy types, hikers, mountain bikers, skiers, snowboarders - if it can be done outdoors, they're into it, so even if I'm not partial to driving in the snow, it's job security.  Unfortunately, like offices the world over, it's drafty in the cold months, hot in the warm months and the doors are constantly being opened as guests, housekeepers and sightseers come in and out.  What does this have to do with potato soup you say?  Well, I find my enthusiasm and appreciation for soup increases directly in proportion to the weather conditions at the resort!

Today, for instance, I pulled in to the resort parking lot and it was raining.  Within minutes, however, it began to snow and proceeded to do so all day long.  By the time I left, my truck had accumulated 3 inches of the fluffy, wet, white stuff.  As I drove home, the lower the elevation got, the wetter it got.  Yep, it was pouring everywhere else!  On nights like this, soup is a moral imperative.  Don't you agree? 

So, tonight I made the potato soup I had been thinking about since last week when I made a tasty pork roast and ended up with cooking liquid that looked good enough to use as stock...and it was so tasty, I just had to share! 


I used red potatoes and sweet, yellow onion.  I chopped up the onion and threw it in the soup pot with some olive oil.  Then I added some mild, bulk Italian sausage.




I chopped up the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and threw them in too.  I let it all cook together a bit, then added some flour...


I stirred the flour in and let it cook for a couple of minutes.



Next, I added the stock and some cream.  Yep, I added cream - and can I just say - YUM!  At this point, I added some salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and dried cilantro.  Then I grated some cheddar cheese...



...and threw that into the pot too!  I stirred it in and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.  We had it with some refrigerator crescent rolls - which didn't do it justice, but I was going for quick, easy, hot & hearty - once in awhile, it's ok to cut corners. 


Surprisingly, potato soup is one soup I make that the kids beg me to make.  They absolutely love it.  In fact, we only had one serving left tonight after dinner (and I'm lookin' forward to having that for my lunch tomorrow)!  It always surprises me that they like it so much - but I'm so glad they do since it's one of the heartiest soups I make. It's still stormy & rainy outside and I'm still warm and toasty, hours after dinner.. 

I didn't measure anything when I made this soup tonight (and I usually don't), and sometimes I bake the potatoes first and include bacon (and chives or shallots), and sometimes I don't include meat at all but here's a rough recipe for you.

Potato Soup

1 small or 1/2 large onion
1 lb. mild Italian Sausage, or sausage of your choice
5 or 6 medium to large potatoes
2 - 4 cups stock
1 pint whipping cream, half-n-half or milk to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 tsp garlic powder
dash of paprika
1 tsp dried cilantro

Enjoy!



5 comments:

  1. So homey and good, just what I need after days of Thanksgiving cooking. Thanks for sharing, Chris! ...Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids always loved potato soup too, and now as adults they include it in their menus. My daughter just told me this morning she had made potato soup using stock from the bone of her Thanksgiving ham, and I just happened upon your recipe also using stock! I don't often try anything but my old tried-and-true recipe for potato soup, but I am saving yours to try.

    Love your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Susan & Linda for your comments. Linda, I can't tell you how tickled I am that you're planning on trying my recipe, you made my night! - Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sausage in potato soup! Will be trying your recipe tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it Sandra! Let me know how it turns out.

      Delete